Poppy's Page

"All my dogs have been a ladder for me to God." Poppy's Mom

And God gives us these little ones, loving, forgiving, and comforting us, and knowing that we are physical beings, he gives us these little creatures to hug and kiss, to nourish and fulfill our need to touch, especially when we are alone.

HOME PAGE



Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Poppy


When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. Yes, that’s what my husband Tom and I learned the day Poppy came into our lives and hearts. It was Tom’s birthday, December 18, 1996 , one week before Christmas. I suppose our actions that day might be explained by the season and the birthday. My husband says that it was the hand of God.

We were in a festive mood as we decided to go to the Edgewater Mall for lunch and Christmas shopping. As always, upon entering the mall, we stopped at the pet store to look at the puppies. It was not that we wanted one - we simply liked to look at them because they were so cute.

On this particular day, a little white one caught my eye. “Look, Tom,” I said to my husband, “there’s your dog!” For weeks I had had a picture of a little white dog on our refrigerator. I had been referring to him as “Tom’s dog.” One of the employees overheard my remark. “Would you like to see him?” she asked. The puppy was beckoning to us, standing on two feet and waving his front paws. “Oh, yes,” I said, eager to hold this sweet little furry ball. So the young woman gathered him up and led us into a little room, appropriately called the “Love Room.” We didn’t know it at that moment, but our fate was sealed.

We sat on a small bench in this small room with this small Maltese puppy. I held him in my arms while he licked and wiggled. Love grew. It filled the room in the presence of his energy and excitement. My husband and I laughed. We were transformed, charmed and fascinated by this little one who obviously adored us. How could we resist?

I put him on the floor for a better view. He continued his earlier dance, standing on two feet and waving his front paws, all as if to say, “Take me, take me.” Tom and I began to cry. “I’m in love,” my husband moaned. “I’m not leaving without him,” I sobbed. At that point the puppy, overcome with emotion himself, deposited a lump on the floor, but that did not break the spell. “Oh!” we said and laughed. “Look at what you did.”

Suddenly, reality hit. “Tom, we have to stop a minute and think about this.” I knew we were being carried away by our feelings, not by a decision made beforehand. Did we really want the responsibility? Did we really want this dog?

We left to go to lunch, begging the pet store manager to hold the puppy for us until we came back. I do not recall much discussion during lunch about the pros and cons of purchasing a dog. I only remember our laughter and a joy that filled our hearts. I also remember the ride home that night, a puppy in a box and a car full of puppy food, bowls, cage, bed and other so-called necessities.

Poppy was not named immediately, but the name became obvious as he continued to dance and hop around on his hind legs. The hopping and the white hair reminded us of popcorn popping so he became Poppy.

Within about 15 months, Poppy had a brother named Juniper. Juniper was a planned baby, and we visited him and his mother soon after he was born. He was a little fellow, smaller than my hand, named after one of Saint Francis’ friars, Brother Juniper, who was said to be a lovable clown.

Then one day we received a call from the owners of Juniper’s mother. Would we like to have her, they asked? The answer, of course, was yes, and soon we had a daughter, Tashee. Later, along came Pal. He was our foster, but we adopted him. Recently, Rosie, another foster, came to live with us. She is a senior lady who is almost blind. She probably will remain as a permanent foster. So now we have five Maltese dogs in our home.

The Maltese is a very affectionate breed, and they are perpetual puppies in many ways. Ours always want to be with us and a part of any gathering. They are our children, and I sleep entwined with Tashee and Pal and sometimes all of them. Yes, I know. The book says do not sleep with your dogs, but sometimes it is best to ignore the advice of books.


ADDENDUM: In 1996, when we bought Poppy from a pet store, we knew nothing about the fact that one should not buy dogs from pet stores, as they are supplied by puppy mills. We knew nothing puppy mills nor all the evil and horrors that exist in these places. Our story about buying Poppy is the perfect example of how folks are suckered into buying dogs from pet stores. (They wrote a song about it: "How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!)? The one with the waggley tail? How much is that doggie in the window? (arf! arf!) I do hope that doggie's for sale.")

Poppy is from a puppymill in Missouri. Of all of our dogs, including fosters we have had, Poppy is the most unhealthy. His legs are deformed and he has weird blood test results which point to serious diseases but yet the diseases aren't developed - just funny symptoms. He has problems with dry eyes and now he has glaucomo. His little paws are always dry and crusty. He is the most friendly of all of our dogs and very sweet. I worry about him more than all the others, especially his sight.

My husband and I love Poppy more than I could ever say and would never take back our decision that day when we bought him but in no way do we advocate buying from a pet store or puppy mill. Go to a reputable breeder. Or better still, adopt a rescue. As I write, there are 437 Maltese available for adoption on Pet Finder. http://www.petfinder.com/ Give one of these sweet, innocent dogs a forever home!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog. Thanks for writing. If you have a chance, you can read about my love affair with my first little foster maltese -- Sam. www.maltese-sam.blogspot.com

Little Scribe said...

I am so pleased that you wrote. I see that you also foster for Northcentral Maltese Rescue. Sam is adorable. What a great blog you have. I have a new foster as of yesterday. Molly. I'll be writing about her soon. She is a sweetie.

Love is . . .

Love is . . .

Search Little Scribe Sites